Thursday, April 2, 2009

Music

Something interesting: the divide between young adult and adult is much fuzzier when it comes to things that aren't books. TV shows like Veronica Mars, Gossip Girl, Friday Night Lights: people of all ages watch and enjoy these shows. Movies cross generational boundaries to an even greater degree, and music probably reaches the most diverse audience of all.

Going into the music section in the Spring Garden Library's YA section, it was a relief to see that I wouldn't have to listen to a Hillary Duff record as a part of the assignment requirements. Instead, most of the albums that I came across were the type of thing I would listen to normally. So, here are two recent albums that I love, and teens will (at least some of them) love too.

Adele - 19 (2008)
The winner of this year's Grammy Award for Best New Artist, Adele is astoundingly talented. She's a part of the recent wave of contemporary UK singers who have been very obviously influenced by old soul and jazz recordings (along with Amy Winehouse and Duffy). This record is a great rainy Sunday album. I would probably be drinking tea, but hot chocolate would make a nice accompaniment as well. She has a gorgeous voice, dusky and textured. Here's a sample:



8/10.
All ages.


Across the Universe Soundtrack (2007)

The Beatles have somehow crossed all kinds of generational boundaries. They have been my all-time favourite band since I was about four (I remember singing "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" over and over again). I was born more than a decade after the band broke up. I currently live and work surrounded by 18 year old girls - towards the beginning of our year together, I found a group of them splayed out across the hallway, listening to the Beatles and eating apples. I sat down with them and we sat there for over an hour singing along.

In 2007 Julie Taymor directed the visually stunning Across the Universe, a musical made up entirely of Beatles songs, sung by the cast. The soundtrack is super fantastic. Here is a song that makes me cry:



8/10.
All ages.

No comments: