Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Magic Circle


By Donna Jo Napoli.

Published in 1993 by Dutton Children's Books, New York.

The Magic Circle is a hypnotic retelling of Hansel and Gretel from the witch's perspective. The ugly old woman is a talented mid-wife who finds her calling as a sorceress, saving people from demons that have taken over their bodies and made them ill. A moment of temptation leaves her at the mercy of the demons, who turn her from sorceress (one who uses the demons) to witch (who is used by the demons for evil). The old woman refuses to do their bidding, and she manages to stave off her unnatural urges for nine years, until Hansel and Gretel find her home in the woods.

The Magic Circle is beautifully written. It casts a spell as the story moves towards its inevitable conclusion, and even though I knew what would happen, I sat rapt as I discovered a brand new why. A great fairy tale.

8/10.
All ages.

1 comment:

Sally said...

omigosh! Angela, I LOVED this book when I first read it! I haven't read it for years though, I should reread.

also, I miss you.