Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cures for Heartbreak


By Margo Rabb.

Published in 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers, New York.

Reading the first pages of Margo Rabb's novel, Cures for Heartbreak, I had the thought: I didn't know death could be so funny. Mia is in the ninth grade, and her mother has just died. She is left with her older sister and father to navigate the terrain of heartbreak. Mia is sharp and witty, and her keen observations make even the process of planning a funeral somewhat amusing. I came across this book via an essay by Rabb, titled "I'm Y.A. and I'm O.K." in which she details the realization (via her agent) that her novel was, in fact, Young Adult fiction. After reading it, I'm slightly surprised that there was any question. While I, as an adult, enjoyed it, it definitely fits well with a teen audience. Teen books are no longer simplistic, clichéd explorations of prom night (although those are out there); instead, they are quite often literary. Intelligent. Unique. Funny. All words that perfectly describe Cures for Heartbreak.

8/10.
14+.

No comments: